What Do You Speak For?

May 9, 2012

About Me

The lovely Galit and Nicole are doing a fun link-up with the question to ask yourself as a blogger: “The Lorax speaks for the trees. What, or who, do you speak for?”

I speak for my kids. Someday, I hope, they will sit down and read about all of my adventures, and mishaps, in mommydom. They’ll have a first hand, well documented look at my experiences, thoughts & feelings I had while raising them.

If anything, I’ve provided a solid roadmap for their future therapist to follow, in order to correct the error of my ways.

I speak for Detroit (and Michigan). The perception that people have for Detroit, outside, and unfortunately sometimes inside, the state is very frustrating to me. Detroit, and Michigan in general, have some phenomenal things to offer and so, so much more to come.

Nothing excites me more than when I post a picture of something I’m doing in the city or the state and people comment with Is that really Michigan? or Is that really Detroit? Ok, well french fries with ranch and ketchup may excite me more. But that’s just because I gave up carbs. Before going carb free, the comments totally excited me the most.

I speak for all the moms who just want their sexy back. At least I hope to. I need to win this weight battle, for myself, more than any of you know. I want to use this as a space to share my good days, my bad days and my oh-my-god-I-need-a-cheeseburger-in-my-mouth-RIGHT-NOW days.

I speak for the peacocks. I don’t. We all know I’d never speak for them and their colorful, man-eating wings.

I speak for finding humor in parenting. I’d never classify myself as a humor blogger. But, I do try and laugh and poke fun at myself when I make mistakes in this parenting gig. It’s the toughest and most important job you’ll ever have. If you can’t laugh a little along the way, it’s going to be a very long road ahead.

I hope to start speaking for causes, and even maybe controversial topics, that are close to my heart. Not only hear on my blog, but on my other social media outlets as well.

I’ve shied away for too long from speaking my mind, in my small corner of the Internet, for fear that I may offend someone. But, since I have it (Thank you, Al Gore), I may just start to come out of my shell.

Yes, you’re still going to get the typical timeout tales, where I tell you about how I almost ruined my sons first day of preschool or how once I tried to run away, but turned back because it was all just so tiring.

We live in such an interesting time, where we all have the chance to use our voice to share our story.

Let yours be heard.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
, ,

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

11 Responses to “What Do You Speak For?”

1. Wendy @ mama one to three
    Twitter:
    Says:

All good things to speak for! I relate to being scared to speak my mind and my truth. I am getting there as well- It’s a process that we all speak for. Thanks for sharing these.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    Twitter:
    Says:

You know I love your voice. So speak loud, speak proud.

3. Galit Breen
    Twitter:
    Says:

This? Is perfection!

I love how you use your voice, how open you are to using it even more, and -of course- that you’d never ever speak for peacocks! Hee! Loved that part!

I’m so with you – it *is* amazing that we’ have this opportunity to speak BIG and we so SHOULD!

(Fabulously done, you!)

4. Julie
    Twitter:
    Says:

Nobody should ever speak for the peacocks. Really.

You’re so funny, I love how you balance it all. I also love that you’re passionate about your hometown. That’s awesome.

5. Kimberly
    Twitter:
    Says:

Of course you mentioned the peacocks! I love that you speak for your town, proudly. Maybe I should start speaking for Jersey. And Snooki. Or I could just ram my head into the wall instead. :)

6. Jackie Says:

What… you don’t like peacocks?

You’re boys are so freakin’ cute!

I’m glad that there are so many people who speak for Michigan & Detroit. It’s good for people to know that it’s not as bad as the news makes it out to be here! It is a great state.

7. julie gardner Says:

I love what you speak for and I love that you speak TO me.

(Sorry, peacocks. We can’t all be winners.)

8. Mrs. Weber
    Twitter:
    Says:

I love every part of this! If you have something to say, say it! You have a beautiful way with words – use that power! Proud to call you a fellow Michigander and friend :)

9. By Word of Mouth Musings
    Twitter:
    Says:

as simple as using our voice to share our story … I love that you boiled it down to that.
    I am so glad you are finding your voice here online, its an important one to have. You are such a cheerleader, never doubt the power you have to make a difference- even one blog at a time ;)

10. Jess
    Twitter:
    Says:

I really hope you continue to use your voice on the interwebz. I’ll always support you and your crazy rants (if you ever post them).

11. Carri
    Twitter:
    Says:

I speak for the stalkerish birds who perch on patio umbrellas.